This is jungle of formats. Everywhere you will get multiple formats of anything. Image formats like JPEG, GIF, PNG and many more. Same is case with documents and it get Huge for Audio and Video files.
When you download media files from Internet, you don't know the technical details about its format, codec, container, audio stream, frame rate, resolution and more.
If you want to transfer you media files to your mobile or other portable media player you should convert the video file in to specific format your player should support.
Also when you convert video files you can check the actual technical details of that file.
MediaInfo is a small [1.55 MB] , free utility that will give you every details about any Video or Audio file.
The technical information include
- General: Complete name,Format, Format/Info, File size, Duration, Overall bit rate, mode, Overall bit rate, Writing application, Writing library...
- Video:: ID, Format, Format profile, Format settings, Codec ID, Duration, Bit rate, Width, Height, Aspect ratio, frame rate, color space, bit depth, compression mode and more.
- Audio :: ID, Format, version, Mode, Codec ID, Duration, Bit rate mode, Bit rate, sampling rate
- Text: language of subtitle
- Chapters: number of chapters, list of chapters
- Video: MKV, OGM, AVI, DivX, WMV, QuickTime, Real, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DVD (VOB). and more
- Codecs: DivX, XviD, MSMPEG4, ASP, H.264, AVC
- Audio: OGG, MP3, WAV, RA, AC3, DTS, AAC, M4A, AU, AIFF...
- Subtitles: SRT, SSA, ASS, SAMI...
- Best thing is that all this is with just one click. Just right click on any file you want to get information and select MediaInfo from context menu.
- You can save or export all the technical information to a text file and also to a HTML document.
It works with Window, Linux, Mac.