I prefer mobile Authenticator app over the OTP sms. Many times, sms takes too long to receive and or never get it in night hours. Its frustrating to log in at late night. Your experience may be different.
Specially talking about the Microsoft Account app, its worst. Most of the mobile things Microsoft makes are crap though. They even don't know, email addresses do not have spaces and caps.
Its very convenient to use Google Authenticator over Microsoft Account App for signing in to your Microsoft accounts. Its very easy takes just a minute or two.
- Basically the app is very confusing to set up.
- Works only with Microsoft services.
- Google Authenticator works with everything else.
- Why keep two if you can do with one only?
- Log in to your Microsoft account as usual.
- Go to https://account.microsoft.com/privacy
- Under account security option, click on 'more security settings' link.
- Scroll down and click on 'Set up identity verification app' link.
- If you already have activated 'Microsoft Account App' you can disable it by going to the link 'disable existing apps'.
- In the type of mobile device, you have to select 'Other' at bottom and click on next.
- You will get the QR code.
- Scan the QR code with Google Authenticator app and enter the OTP.
- You are done now.
- You can now use Google Authanticator application to sing in to your Microsoft account.
If you are still using the Microsoft Account app on your mobile, I suggest you to give a try for this trick.