If your Windows 10 update is not starting over and stuck in the middle of something, here are 2 better ways to either start everything over or troubleshoot the update process.
1. The Windows Update Troubleshooter:The primary solution is to try the built in Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Open Windows control panel and navigate to Control Panel>>System and security >> Security and maintenance >> Troubleshooting >> fix problems with Windows update.
It will automatically scan for possible errors. If you don't find anything at first attempt try it using the administrator permissions, which it will automatically offer.
2. Delete the Windows Update Cache files:If something went wrong with your previous update download or some files have not installed correctly even after complete download, this will help you.
- Navigate to Control panel >> system and security >> Administrative Tools >> Services. This will open the 'services' window.
- Navigate to 'Windows update' service from the list. Double click to open the settings. Stop the service by click on 'stop' button under 'general'.
- Once you stop the Windows Updater service, you have to delete the previously downloaded but problematic files.
- Open the Windows explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download . Here C: is my system partition. You can change according to your system setup.
- You have to unhide the hidden system files and folders. Go to 'File' in windows explorer and open 'change folder and search options'.
- Unhide the hidden files and let the explorer show 'system hidden files'.
- Now select all and delete. If you need administrator rights, allow it and delete everything in that folder.
- Once you delete everything, restart the 'Windows update' service in the same way you stopped it. You are ready to download the windows update again.
Restart your pc and you can now download updates easily.